The Detective Bureau consists of a lieutenant and a detective who are full-time Civil Service employees.
The design of the Detective Bureau is to supplement and enhance the patrol force, to work in harmony with the uniformed patrol division supervisory officers on matters of joint concern, to coordinate the duties of the two divisions so as to successfully arrest persons who have committed an offense, recover stolen property, and conduct a skillful criminal investigation that will result in a conviction at trial. The Detective Bureau is responsible for the investigation of certain penal law cases. Also any cases that require extensive investigation both in time and place for their solution or by their nature necessitate investigation by persons assigned exclusively to the Detective Bureau, the reporting of suspected/child abuse cases to the Child Abuse Hot Line and Administrative Investigations. Other functions of the Detective Bureau include:
- Fingerprinting - All persons arrested by the Evans Police for a fingerprintable offense must be fingerprinted and photographed as soon as possible after arrest and prior to the disposition of the court case.
- Hawkers Permits - The Detective Bureau will process any person who applies for a Hawkers Permit.
- Pistol Permit Application - The Detective Bureau will schedule appointments for Town of Evans residents only wishing to apply for a Pistol Permit.
- Fingerprint Service - The Detective Bureau is responsible to fingerprint any resident applying for citizenship, adoption, liquor license, employment, captains license and security bonding.
- Employment Background Checks - When a "Release of Information" form is completed and signed by a resident of the Town of Evans and a release of an arrest record is requested, a detective bureau member will check the "in house" records of the Police Department and the result noted on the Release of Information form.
- Social Clubs and Volunteer Fire Department - Any social club or volunteer fire department requesting an applicant background record check, prior to acceptance into their organization, must submit to the Town of Evans Police Detective Bureau an approved completed release of information form.
- License Applications - The Detective Bureau is responsible for record checks of persons listed on license applications.